I’ve abused stimulants in the past. Can I ever get treatment for my ADHD?

August 14, 2019 adhd-drbarr
  • yes, with some rules and controls and long acting medication

Yes, it is possible. It usually involves shorter prescriptions, more carful monitoring, sometimes getting someone else to hold the medication for you.

We use the longer lasting medications like Vyvanse, Concerta and Foquest over shorter acting medications that risk getting a buzz on treatment.

Remember, people with combined type ADHD often have addictive tendencies and come from families with a lot of addiction and that treating the ADHD reduces addiction potential, so with a few provisos and controls, yes we can treat you.

Some doctors will insist on only using or first using Non stimulants in someone who has abused stimulants (wether prescribed or not) but the problem here is their effect is often dramatically less, and lets face it, many patients with ADHD are impatient.

Category: Addiction